Anti-Poverty Week supports the Australian community to have an increased understanding of poverty and to take action collectively to end it.
Since 2002, we’ve been active every year in the week around the 17th of October, the United Nations Day for the Eradication of Poverty. During this week, we encourage all Australians to take action and focus on positive solutions to end poverty. We work with our network of diverse voices and organisations in order to increase awareness of poverty in Australia and globally. At a national and state level we are reaching out to some new audiences who are not already at the forefront of this work including employers and those in rural and regional Australia as well as re-energising our connection with younger Australians.
Each year we choose an evidence-based solution to be a focus and partner with the leading campaign/organisation in that space to take action to end poverty. In Anti-Poverty Week 2021 we called on governments to unlock poverty for families and children and all affected by pandemic poverty by raising income support above the poverty line and investing in social housing. In 2021 we supported the Raise the Rate for Good and Everybody’s Home campaigns.
See our APW Strategic Direction 2019-21.
In bringing positive solutions to poverty to the forefront of the conversation, we have created a helpful guide for you on How We Talk about Poverty In Australia.
We will be continuing to encourage a range of activities in regions, towns and cities from individuals and organisations focusing on this issue or any particular aspect of poverty they are most concerned about throughout the week, which will be 16-22 October 2022.
You can stay up to date by signing up to our eNewsletter here.
See our 2022 eNews
- Election, floods and Budget – grim outlook for people in poverty, 13 April eNews
- 20 years of acting on poverty 16-22 October 2022, 17 March 2021 eNews
See also 2021 eNews:
- An important year for Anti-Poverty Week, 17 December 2021 eNews
- Join and take action to end poverty, 12 October 2021 eNews
- Petition the Treasurer ahead of APW, 28 September 2021 eNews
- Special ahead of Women’s Safety Summit, 3 September 2021 eNews
- Launching Anti-Poverty Week 2021, 17 August 2021 eNews
- Individuals, families and children need urgent help in lockdown, 27 July 2021 eNews
- Pandemic continues hardship without support, 28 June 2021 eNews
- Pre-Budget Update, 5 May 2021 eNews
- End of the Coronavirus Supplement, 1 April 2021 eNews
- More than 1 million children affected by cuts starting in 1 week, 25 March 2021 eNews
- Historic chance to tackle poverty, 12 February 2021 eNews