Anti-Poverty Week ED Toni Wren addressed the Senate Inquiry into the Extent and Nature of Poverty in Australia on Monday 27 February.
She presented evidence from the Anti-Poverty Week submission which urges all parliamentarians to:
- pass legislation to halve child poverty by 2030
- increase the adequacy of JobSeeker and family payments, so everyoneAn can afford the basics including rent, food, medication and education.
- increase Commonwealth Rent Assistance so everyone has a safe place to call home
- restore access to Parenting Payment Single until the youngest child turns 16 and
- review our woefully inadequate child support scheme to reduce the number of children living in poverty
Read our submission to the Senate Inquiry into the Nature and Extent of Poverty in Australia
Read Toni’s address, published in Women’s Agenda
Download full transcript of Feb 27 Hearing – Toni Wren in pgs 1-10